- Queer is a word that describes sexual and gender identities other than straight and cisgender. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people may all identify with the word queer.
- Sometimes, it is used to express that sexuality and gender can be complicated, change over time. and might not fit neatly into either/or identities, like male or female, gay or straight. But more and more, people use the word with pride to identify themselves. So don’t call someone “queer” unless you know they’re cool with it. The best thing to do is ask what labels people prefer.
- In a broad sense could mean unique, different or non-conforming to that which is normal.
- It is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities who are not heterosexual or are not cisgender. Originally meaning “strange” or “peculiar” (wikipedia defined).
- differing in some way from what is usual or normal
- Used to describe a broad spectrum of non-normative sexual and gender identities and politics.
Often times, people just hear the word queer without having an indepth knowledge of what it really means to be queer.
So I have assembled a rather broad definition of what it really means to be queer, some personal definitions and some from other existing sources.
Most times people do not get a grasp of the difference between being gay to being queer.
so here’s to a better understanding
LGBTQ is an acronym for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer or questioning. These terms are used to describe a person’s sexual orientation or gender identity.
thanks for reading today, to know more please indicate in the comment section. Thank you !